Top Three Reasons Why I Enjoy the HBO Series 'The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency'

Not since 'The Cosby Show' have I been so hooked into watching a TV series where majority of the characters are black. I have to use the word black since they are not African-Americans. The TV series is set in Botswana and almost all of the characters are black Africans! These are the reasons why I love watching this HBO TV series -


1. Feisty women characters played by Jill Scott and Anika Noni Rose. And the script allows these two wonderful actresses to deal head on with their adversaries, including some very dangerous men! They are not only feisty, they are also fearless and smart! Great role models for younger black women.



2. The setting in Botswana. You can't get as exotic as that! I think they set everything there as everything looks realistic. It feels like you're really in Gaborone!



3. I love the way they integrate the native Botswanan language into the dialogue. Even the way the characters talk have that unique African intonation! Also, their language sounds very respectful, respectful to elders, I mean, very quite like Tagalog with their own versions of 'po' and 'opo'! I could sense that in the way they greet each other.